Acerca de Kinship
You are loved, welcomed, and affirmed, no matter your sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression.
Seventh-day Adventist Kinship International wants you to know that your story, your journey, and your life matter. For over 40 years, we have been welcoming and affirming the identities and journeys of LGBTQIA+ Adventists and more. Our community includes:
LGBTQIA+ Members who are—
- Learning to accept themselves and live more authentically
- Learning to reconcile their faith and identity
- Wanting to connect with other LGBTQIA+ Adventists
- Looking for a truly inclusive social and spiritual community
Family and friends of a LGBTQIA+ person who are—
- Learning how to understand their LGBTQIA+ loved ones
- Looking to connect with other parents and families on a similar journey
- Learning how to understand what the Bible says
- Interested in connecting with affirming Adventist leaders
Adventist Pastors and Leaders who are—
- Learning how to understand what the Bible really says about LGBTQIA+ identities
- Wanting to minister to the LGBTQIA+ community with love and dignity
- Wanting to meet other pastors advocating for change in their congregations and local communities
- Affirming but can't be open about it because of their employer
What We Believe
- We believe God loves all His children equally and unconditionally, no matter our gender identity or sexual orientation.
- We believe non-heterosexual orientations are not in themselves problematic and so do not merit therapy, suppression, or change.
- We honor our members consciences about faith and what they believe God requires of them. Some have chosen committed relationships, some have built families with children, and others are celibate; all must be convinced in their own mind as the Lord leads them.
- Whatever their journey, we support all of them as they grow in grace.
Why We Exist
Many LGBTQIA+ Adventists feel alone and isolated. Their churches, schools, and sometimes families have told them that being LGBTQIA+ is sinful and contrary to Gods word. We formed Kinship to tell LGBTQIA+ people and the Seventh-day Adventist Church the truth that the Bible does not condemn LGBTQIA+ identities AND that Adventist spaces can treat everyone with love.
Join our community to share solutions, ask questions, and connect with other people on our journeys.
We believe an inclusive community can change the world.
Kinship leadership and members work together to create spaces that are affirming and supportive for everyone, especially people who identify as LGBTQIA+. People in our community are on all sides of spectrums:
- Side A and Side B viewpoint
- Left and Right politically
- Conservative and Progressive Adventists
- Adventist and Atheist or Agnostic
- Gender Non-Conforming or Male/Female
- Racially and Culturally Different
It is not easy for us to have this community. Many of our members disagree on a range of issues, but we attempt to have unity. We encourage our members to be respectful, understanding, and filled with grace as we learn and grow together.
Kinship uses multiple platforms to connect members online. Through members-only Facebook and WhatsApp groups, email lists, and other tools members can meet other members and share their stories and questions easily. We also maintain confidential groups for people such as Seventh-day Adventist pastors, teachers, and family members who may also struggle with loving the LGBTQIA+ community and holding on to their faith. Wherever you are in your journey, Kinship welcomes those who are willing to grow in love and in grace.
Advocacy for the LGBTQ+ Community
Kinship supports LGBTQIA+ equality, affirmation, and inclusion in the world and in Adventist church communities.
Kinship has worked with many pastors, educators, and administrators in Seventh-day Adventist communities to show them how they can make their spaces more welcoming and loving to members of the LGBTQIA+ community. We welcome all inquiries, and we will respect any need for confidentiality that you may have.